Rotary Club of Tunkhannock

About Our Club
Subpages
Related Pages
Links
Files
Photo Albums
 
The Rotary Club of Tunkhannock, sponsored by the Pittston Rotary Club, was organized July 29, 1925 and was admitted to Rotary International on August 25, 1925 with 19 charter members. The Tunkhannock Rotary met at the Graham Hotel, which became the Prince Hotel, since its inception except for two short periods, until the Prince Hotel was sold at the end of 2010. The Club was first dispossessed because someone put a bottle of beer at each place at the table. Waiting for the proprietor, Wes Lewis (a Charter Rotarian), to cool off, the Club met at the Elm Tree Tea Shop. In the late 1940's, the Antiquarian Restaurant was their second temporary home. With the sale of the Prince Hotel, the Club tried several different locations and decided on Purkey's Pink Apple for its lunchtime meetings every Thursday.

In 1975, the Club celebrated their Golden Jubilee. as part of that celebration, Edwin H. Kehrli, former Wyoming County Superintendent of Schools, Club Secretary for the next 25 years, and with perfect attendance for 35 years, was honored with oil paintings hung by Rotary in Roslund Elementary, the Middle School and the High School. The Tunkhannock Rotary Club has provided three of it its members to serve the District as Governors. Frank Dolbear in 1953-1954, Otto Keil in 1986-1987 and Dave Whipple in 2002-2003.

In 1954, the Club kicked off its greatest civic project raising over $16,000 and overseeing the erection of the Memorial Arch and lighting equipment at Memorial Park football field.

The Rotary Youth Program was initiated in 1958. Roy Gardner, then a young lawyer, help write the bylaws still used in what has become the largest youth exchange program in the world. The Club has hosted and sponsored well over 150 YEP students.